Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Saturday 25 September 2010

Harvest Moon

This is a photo of the Harvest Moon rising over Orphir on the Orkney Mainland. The harvest moon is the full moon nearest to the autumnal equinox, which is when day and night are equal length. According to the BBC News website this year's moon is special because "for the first time since 1991, these two events coincided in the small hours of Thursday, in the northern hemisphere."

The last few nights have been beautiful and I've lingered while returning from shutting the hens into their henny-hoose.  Last night was particularly beautiful as the wind had dropped and in the stillness all I could hear were the waves gently lapping the shore as the moon rose over the Orkney Mainland. I love waking in the night and seeing the moonlight streaming through the window.  I'm not really a night person, but I do think I'm a "moon-child"!

No comments:

Post a Comment