Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 15 April 2012

Hail showers and scones


I was planning on doing a bit of gardening yesterday as it was a lovely sunny day. Then the hail and SNOW showers came in!  Instead I decided to stay indoors and do some baking!

As regular readers will know, this Winter I've been getting acquainted with my "inner baker". I've been trying to perfect scones - everyone tells me how easy they are to make etc etc, but mine have not been successful. Even under the instruction of Irene on Graemsay, who makes lovely light scones. However, I have a new book from the goddess of baking - Mary Berry, and followed one of her recipes to the letter.  Result - delicious scones!  Irene tasted them and declared they were "perfect" - though she may have been humouring me.....


I delivered a few to her to try.... on the way back the sun came out, well sort of!


Note - the photo at the top of the post is looking down from the West of the island to our community hall (green hut), just below the red telephone box.

11 comments:

  1. i love scones , they look great ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More practice is needed ;-) but they are coming along....

      Delete
  2. If you'd like a foolproof easy scone recipe, pop over to my blog in a couple of days and I'll pop it into my 'in the kitchen' page.
    Too easy! Your's look yummo though. Cheers Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Sue that would be great! I know for most home bakers these are a staple and made without a second thought. But I'm encountering baking for the first time with many recipes so am still exploring "foolproof" beginner recipes that work and are fit for human comsumption (other than myself!).

      Delete
  3. The scones were delicious Sian. I was being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your inner baker has arrived along with the hail ! Did the hail damage any of your crops ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sian, I find your blog so comforting. I hope to someday move away from the city and work long distance, so I can spend more time perfecting my scones and sharing them with my chickens. Good luck with your inner baker. I am trying to disown mine - carbs are not kind to me, but a scone with jam and cream is soooo hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Irene and Mary Berry to advise, how could you fail?! Your scones look utterly mouthwatering.

    We're having hail and snow showers too. The upside is your two photos, which are some of the best cloudscapes I've seen on a blog. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On this side of the pond, Scones are not on many menus. They look SO good. My late aunt used to make them after spending two years in England. Unfortunately, my inner baker is too often with me and has translated into my OUTER baker...

    So I shall wait a bit to bake any. I do not need a scone added to each hip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scones look yummy, Sian and I look forward to trying some. :-) The weather is just what we've been having and indeed it's the same right down to the Pyrenees.

    ReplyDelete