Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 6 March 2014

The girls....



I used to name all my hens, but the year I ended up with 35 (population explosion due to sneaky hens disappearing all broody and returning with a clutch of chicks instead of eggs!) I gave up, and mostly refer to the hens as "the girls" - occasionally one stands out from the crowd and gets called "Baggage" or some such, but mostly it's "the girls" or "the ladies". There is a temporary cockerel in residence, or rather a cockerel in temporary residence, if he were a temporary cockerel there wouldn't be a problem....sigh... but crowing at all hours of daylight (LONG in summer), and contributing to a population explosion - he will have to go...sometime....maybe...

Anyway, I love watching my hens, and now the weather is warming up I am sitting on a garden bench for a few minutes each day. The girls (associating me mainly with food of the household scraps variety, or the garden worms variety) come around for a chat.... so here are just a few of "my girls"!  Oh and yes of course Princess Button sneaks in there too...

Lovely bright red comb means this girlie is laying eggs....


This hen is known as "Pecky Hen" or "Baggage"! She's very bold and will nip my hand if I'm too slow at dispensing the food.... she's a good hen mother though....  very protective of her "flock".


I love the patterns on their feathers - most of these are from various hens crossed with a Light Sussex Cockerel (who died of natural causes last year, sadly).


This hen looks as though she has crocheted feathers!


This hen (the same hen as in the head shot above) is a very good layer... and yes hens eat grass, or any green shoots (nightmare in Spring!)


And here is Princess Button!  Not to be left out....as if!




16 comments:

  1. Big hello from your newest reader!

    Myself and my husband would like to relocate from southern England to the Highlands one day and find your beautiful photos very inspiring. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh belatedly waves! Glad you like my blog posts. And good luck with your dream to relocate to the HIghlands. Do you have anywhere special in mind? I had a quick look at your blog - I love your sparkly nails! I have reasonable nails in winter but now spring is here they are digging in the dirt again so the nail polish goes away again til Autumn returns!

      Delete
  2. I love your hens. They are so fortunate to have such a wonderful, natural life. How many eggs do you get ? Do you sell them or give them to neighbours ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment I'm getting 3 or 4 eggs a day. This is NOT good production given I have 11 hens!! But some will be too old to lay, and one or two are young so only starting to lay now. But that's plenty enough eggs for me. I* often give them away to neighbours, the crew on the boat, and friends in town. They taste delicious as the girls are completely free range and also wander about on the beach so have a varied diet. I do feed them too, but it's their free range snacking that helps the most I think.

      Delete
  3. Not sure happened to the comment I just left Sian. It vanished with a "poof".

    I love your chickens and feel they live the way chickens should live. The way we treat farm animals is just plain wrong with our "factory farming".

    What do you do with the extra eggs ? I'm sure you can't be eating all those eggs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice to meet your 'ladies'. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they are charmed to meet you too Bonnie :-) They are great characters and I just love having them about.

      Delete
  5. Your "girls" are so beautiful! I still love your blogs so sorry not to have been touch - life is frenetic but your photos of your garden & your walks are calming and uplifting. Button is wonderful! I still intend to return to Orkney but currently care for my very frail, elderly Mum. Mind you, the very elderly Scottie dog is as much of a headache! Take care, Sian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't apologise Jo! We all have such busy lives. I live on a small island and still manage to have a busy life!! Caring for your mum must be quite challenging for you. And yes our furry companions can be as challenging whatever their age! I'm glad the pix on my blog are a source of calm. Take care and hope to see you in Orkney one day.

      Delete
  6. Wow I had no idea about their combs color meaning something! I just learned something new Sian!! Your girls are lovely as is Princess Button....
    I am living thru anyone who has some sort of Spring at this point. It is 24 F here & cloudy & damp & we are looking at 10 foot snow piles everywhere....I bet we have flooding this year when (& if) we thaw out..
    Happy 11 days til Spring from Sherri-Ellen & Nylablue too xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, I love their plumage, Sian. Hens' feathers can be so pretty. And as for their fresh-laid eggs, mmm.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get too many hens I do give some away but try and keep the pretty ones. I just love the intricate designs on their feathers. Nature is just wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you. They will be delighted to hear they have an appreciative audience :-)

      Delete
  9. I learned something new too...i didn't know about the comb color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found that out once I got hens! It's useful to know how many eggs to expect as the elderly hens don't have the bright combs. So I don't need to keep stalking them for eggs ;-)

      Delete