Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Tuesday 7 November 2017

Autumnal sunset and a seal....

Photo by David Sinclair from the MV Graemsay

Yesterday it rained for nearly 24 hours and the wind blew.  Today the rain stopped, the sun came out, and the wind dropped.  This afternoon I decided to head out for some welcome fresh air!

Button seemed quite happy snoozing indoors



As I was on my own I took a slightly longer route this time, along the road to the sandy beach. It looks like my house has a lighthouse on top. Haha!



You can see the "main" road of Graemsay here - single track with no passing places!


Big skies! Big clouds!


Heading back now towards the coral beach. This is looking towards Stromness....


As I walked down the old pier onto the shore I almost stumbled over a seal pup!  The Atlantic Grey Seals are breeding at the moment (you wouldn't think it was the best time of year!).  The pup I saw wasn't a newborn and had lost the white fluffy coat.  But it was still very small.  We startled each other.  It bolted for the sea at remarkable speed.  I headed back up towards the outbuildings as I didn't want to disturb it any more than I already had.  I then got this quick video taken round the corner of one of the buildings.  I'm glad I didn't take Button with me!!


As I headed home the sun was setting behind the Hoy hills.


Heading home...


And then the sky turned orange...


And to round off a lovely day, this evening there was an amazing display of the "Merrie Dancers" (Aurora).  I have yet to capture that on camera so you will have to use your imagination! And in between all this excitement I managed to do some work too!


4 comments:

  1. I love the colors in your sunset photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, such dramatic sunsets! I'm a sucker for big, puffy clouds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the description of Merrie Dancers for the Northern Lights

    ReplyDelete