Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 6 April 2014

Betty's Reading Room



I had a friend from London staying recently so took the time to go on a few "jaunts". The weather wasn't too bad, though was chilly and breezy.  So I was delighted to take A. on my first visit to "Betty's Reading Room" in Tingwall on the Orkney Mainland.

There's a clip from the BBC News website which explains how and why the reading room was set up : click here

I have to say, having visited - I want to move in!!  It's a magical place, created as a memorial to a friend who had died suddenly.  There was no fire burning on the day we visited but we were still drawn to the place and wanted to linger.  I hope these pictures give you a flavour of the place and do take time to visit if you're in Orkney.  As I say it's near the Tingwall ramp for the ferry, just tucked round a corner from the car park.

Comfy sofas to sit upon while reading....


Fairy lights, lots of books.... no not a ghost. A. moved, so is unrecognisable which means I might get away with this photo!


Everything can be borrowed, or books taken or added to. There used to be a collection box, but sadly, even in Orkney, money was taken. So now folk are asked to pop some money in the first collection box they see when leaving the Reading Room. A lovely idea....



Much loved objects in the window. Big Ted has a view!




Gorgeous stained glass window.


Hares are a theme. I love hares....


And another one...


This is Betty...... I'm sure wherever she is she's looking down on the room with a smile on her face.


Outside a sculpture by local artist, Frances Pelly, a mermaid....


And this is the wee cottage.... as I said.... I want to move in!


26 comments:

  1. what a beautiful place ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely gorgeous! You must stop posting about all these amazing looking places - we've only got 4 days to visit them all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh hope you get time to go and visit!! See you soon!!!!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful idea and marvellous tribute to a woman who was obviously greatly loved. It's a shame the collecting box can't be left there safely, but in every other way great trust is being shown to those who visit and use the reading room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sad....even in Orkney...sigh.... but a lovely living memorial for a friend....

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place to hide away. All those books and in such a beautiful place. I would like to see it in person. Thanks for sharing this Sian. It seems so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's my idea of the perfect house ... what a fabulous memorial to the lady. Stunned that the collection box was stolen from in such a remote location but it says a lot about the thief that the books remain. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does say a lot that the money was taken and the books remained! I would just LOVE to live in that house (um well as long as there was a bathroom tacked on!!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes it is. I loved spending time there and do hope to go back again soon.

      Delete
  7. Pure heaven! A room full of books, who needs anything else? The wee cottage looks just right ... unpretentious with a welcoming door and a water vat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is just perfect in every way!! I could see myself and Princess Button living there quite happily :-)

      Delete
  8. What a welcoming place. I imagine it's even nicer with a crackling fire in the hearth. Sigh ... Wish, wish, wish, I could visit your little corner of the World. It fairly shouts to me with each of your posts: "Come visit, Come wander here ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be wonderful with the fire going! Oooh I wish we could teleport you over!!

      Delete
  9. Betty's Room is so tranquil and serene looking; I could spend hours in there...
    Thank you for sharing this lovely place...
    Sherri-Ellen in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is a wonderful place. I can't wait to go back...

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for taking me on a visit to Betty's Reading Room, a place filled with love and a welcoming feel. I will be sharing this link with my best friend and fellow blogger who is an avid reader and artist (http://heatherhawley.blogspot.ca/). She will love it too! I can't wait to spend more time exploring your small island through your words and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Graemsay and thank you for taking the time to comment! I'm not very good at responding to comments but I do love receiving them. I must head over to your friend's blog too. Feel free to ask questions too - sometimes helps prompt me for a blog post :-)

      Delete
  11. One of the best memorials I've ever seen. A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a great place. Glad I got to explore it with you :-)

      Delete
  12. Hi Sian,
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and checking out my photos. I loved this video of the reading room...seriously what a wonderful way to remember a loved one! I really want to go there and check it out. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada ( the name means New Scotland and we have tons of towns named after places in scotland..like Inverness, Glencoe etc etc) and I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. How good to honor the lady with a peaceful reading room; I would like to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Priscilla Sweetman18 October 2016 at 19:50

    I have recently started a group on Facebook for ex pupils of St Mary's Junior School, Marlborough in Wiltshire where Betty attended, this page was brought to my attention by one of her old school friends. This is such a super idea. Also lovely to see Betty's photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a wonderful idea is't it? And has captured the hearts of many from near and afar. Betty's Reading Room has also appeared on Countryfile and will appear on a programme filmed this year with Chris Packham and Neil Oliver. There are also storytelling events held there. It's such a wonderful living memorial. I didn't know Betty personally but feel I have got to know her through this.

    ReplyDelete