Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Monday 14 January 2019

Out and about....



Last week I remembered to take my camera when on a run out round Graemsay. Here are a few photos from that day. It was a very grey day which isn't the best for photos but I do like to show Graemsay throughout the year.  It's not all sunshine. Hee hee!

Above is the croft of Dean with Ward Hill on Hoy in the background....  The South side of the island has a very different feel with Ward Hill looming up quite dramatically.


There is a lot of heathland on Graemsay.  No peat though.....


Apparently Graemsay folk had peat cutting rights somewhere on Hoy in years gone past. It would have been the main fuel for the fires to keep homes warm.  Not much wood around as very few trees, so cutting peat would have formed part of the yearly cycle.




Another croft now, looking towards Stromness.

And further along the Graemsay road takes us West.  This looks across Burra Sound towards the greener pastures on Hoy.

Though there seems to have been a land slip in the last few years on the slopes of the Hoy hills. You can see conifer woodland on the green slope of Hoy. These are (I think) part of Forestry Commission woodlands.


And this photo looks towards Moaness on Hoy, where our ferry sails to (Stromness-Graemsay-Moaness, or sometimes Stromness-Moaness-Graemsay depending on time of day!)



6 comments:

  1. Those photos are amazing! I am so happy I have found your blog! I am now following you - you can follow back if you wish at Annster's Domain!! I l LOVE new friends...your homeland is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, lovely to "meet" you. Thanks for commenting. Hope you enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! I’m a 20 year old girl from Germany. I always dreamed about living on the Orkney islands. It’s my biggest dream but unfortunately I don’t know how to make my dream come true. I’m in love with the beautiful islands and I can just imagine how it would feel to wake up and look outside the window and to see such a beautiful scenery. Do you have any tips for working on the Orkneys?
    Thankyou so much for sharing these beautiful pictures and your point of view of living on Graemsay. Greetings from Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jae Jae, Orkney is a wonderful place and I hope your dream comes true! Orkney is mostly a farming community, with the local authority and the local NHS (National Health Service) being the main employers. There are seasonal jobs in the tourist industry too. Are you on Facebook? If you search for ORkney there are lots of groups you could follow to get a feel for the place.

      Delete
  3. I love your island and can't get enough of the sights. Thank you Sian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it doesn't get dull! I tend to photograph the same bits of the island! I must try and venture further when the weather improves... Still at least folk see it through the seasons.

      Delete