Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 11 February 2021

Snow (Part 1)

 

Sandside. Photo Credit Mick Braddock

We so rarely get any significant snow falls on Graemsay.  And when I say "significant" it's all relative and I mean about an inch (pauses while those of you used to living in colder climes with several feet of snow for months get your breath back from laughing....).  But as Orkney is in the Gulf Stream we tend to have mild winters which are characterised by wet and windy weather (which I am not fond of..). But this year for two or three weeks now we have had hard frosts and snow showers.  Then a couple of days ago a proper covering of snow.  

My neighbour and her children were actually able to go sledging.  What is remarkable about this is the children - er young people - are now teenagers and the last time they went sledging they were pre-school age!

Anyway here are a few photos of Graemsay in the snow..... So above - looking up the lighthouse road to Sandside with the Hoy Hills behind (photo credit Mick Braddock).

Incoming snow! I'm on the way to feed the hens.... porridge, pasta, apples as well as their usual hen pellets, corn and wheat mix.



I sheltered in the henny house while the blizzard raged!  Sheep seemed unconcerned.....


Back indoors and Button decided she needed to venture forth.  Completely unimpressed by white stuff....


But needs must and all that....


There she goes into the trees!


She was unimpressed that I hadn't cleared the snow from the cat flap for her return....


The landscape did look so pretty though....


Huge banks of snow clouds....


And perfect blue skies the next.... this was about 10.30 am....


Snow clouds over Stromness on the Orkney Mainland



You can tell which way the wind was blowing. Hahaha!  Definitely an Easterly....


Time for a snow angel...... watched by several curious sheep who probably just wanted me to get up and feed them their sheep nuts! (Photo credit to neighbour Mick Braddock)


And a short (5 sec) video of it snowing!  Hoy High lighthouse in the background, sheep in the foreground (in case you wondered).....  


More photos in the next post when you have warmed up again...

3 comments:

  1. Love the snow angel. Well done you. I enjoyed your pictures and am not laughing. Today we are enjoying -41F and grateful there is no wind. We farm so can't stay indoors. I love your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really feel for all farmers in this weather. And the animals! It was the same on Graemsay - and farmers having to provide more feed for animals that couldn't graze. I have 9 of my neighbour's sheep in my field and I wanted to bring them into the conservatory to keep warm! Their fleeces kept them toasty but I bet their feet were cold...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful island with snow either😀

    ReplyDelete