Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 29 June 2023

A visit to Graemsay

 

Hoy Hight lighthouse

Although I paid a brief visit a few weeks ago I didn't have a chance to have a proper wander around the island.  So last week I went back with a friend, borrowed a car and set about exploring the wee island that was my home for 22 years.  I also popped in on the new owners of Sandside, who love living on the island and are taking good care of the house and garden.  I firmly believe those of us who live in old houses are simply custodians, and now it's onto the next generation.  Anyway here are some photos of my visit.

Sailing from Stromness via Hoy to Graemsay


The old kirk, now under new ownership.




It's a quiet neighbourhood.  


The view from the kirk.....



Sadly a dead Fin whale  was washed up on the shore not far from the kirk in the Winter of 2023.  Some of the skeleton is now visible and being removed.....



After the kirk we took a run down to Hoy Low.... I love this lighthouse - short and dumpy! The reason for two lighthouses on the island was to guide the herring fleet through a narrow passage into Stromness harbour.  There is quite shallow water around the island, so for deeper water the ships had to light up Hoy High and Hoy Low lights to white and keep on that course.  If one showed red they were off course.



Looking down to Hoy Low and the accommodation around it, and across the mouth of Hoy Sound to the outskirts of Stromness on the Orkney Mainland.


Down the road is the island Community Hall.  This was refurbished using EU and local grants just before the pandemic.  It's now back in use for parties, quizzes and games evenings.  There is also a defibrilator on the wall - many of these are now publically available around Orkney.


And in a field across from the hall are some belted galloway cattle.  Love the stripey coos! They are a hardy breed and can live out year round.  They also calve themselves easily outdoors.


And of course, Sandside Bay!


And lovely Sandside, my former home!  I was made most welcome and delighted to see it looking so good.


Meanwhile the old School is being brought back to life.  A lovely renovation taking place there.



Hoy High ever visible, this time just round the corner from the old School


And a bit further along the road is the old Quarry.  We were fortunate enough to see a blue-tailed damselfly here.  It was a bit breezy so not much visible activity - they were hiding in the long grass and rushes.




A lovely view of Hoy from the top road....


The old croft house of Dean with a new corrugated iron room....


And that is the end of the tour!  We had a lovely day and I  caught up with quite a few folk too.

15 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, you certainly had perfect weather for your visit.

    How lovely to know & see that Sandside is being loved and cared for.

    (PS: are you going to The Cairns open day near Windwick tomorrow? I am peevishly disappointed that the dig will have been covered up before I can get there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was lovely to see that the house is in such good hands. Hope you get to see the Cairns next year!

      Delete
  2. Happy and surprised to see you in your old stomping grounds. Hope you and Madame Button are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to visit again - especially on a sunny day! Yes thanks Button and I are doing just fine. She seems to have settled into her new home very well - which is a huge relief!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, i dont often comment from here in Speyside, whisky country 🙂 but such a welcome surprise to read your blog again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for taking the time to comment! And glad you enjoy my blog...

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear Sandside has such good new owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and they love Graemsay which is great! (And a relief!)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blue skies and water...thank you for sharing the pictures. I love old houses, mine was built in 1864, but Sandside is absolutely lovely...an old stone house is my dream. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! After living in an old stone house in a very exposed location I discovered how hard it is to keep damp at bay. Thankfully my smaller, newly renovated wee house so far is managing that more successfully!

      Delete
  6. Wompum! That's made my day. When you said you'd stopped blogging I seldom popped over.

    That must have been so nostalgic for you. A strontian moment. So pleased you're continuing. Just go at your own pace. Your a legend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I lost my blogging mojo with all the palava of moving over the last year, and preparing to move before that. Now things are more settled I will start again - but just randomly, rather than feeling I MUST blog.

      And it was lovely to go back to Graemsay and see the house in such good hands, and see folk again, but it also confirmed I had made the right decision at the right time for me to move, which is also good!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your visit to your prior home territory very much. I'm so happy to read you are back and will continue your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Revisiting a previous home is an interesting experience, good then that the new owners are so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I didn't like to presume that I could visit so didn't call in on the first return visit but they then contacted me and invited me round, though said they would understand if I didn't want to return. It was lovely to see them making Sandside their home.

      Delete