Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Friday 19 July 2019

A wander round the garden....



Last week when I was home on "day release" it was lovely to just sit in the garden.  It's all going very feral this year as I've not been well enough to do much for a few weeks and with lots of rain and warm days it's just galloping away.  But as the garden is for my enjoyment and for the birdies and insects I'm quite happy with that.  Feral gardening is much more my style than ordered borders.

It was also lovely to be greeted by the hens.  Though the welcoming party was led by Pecky Hen which was a tad alarming as I still think it was she that tipped me into the wheelie bin the other year!!



And of course to be accompanied by dear Button was lovely too....





Though Button soon got bored and wandered off for a snooze in one of her favourite spots.  Not exactly well camouflaged....


The hens love the garden and help keep slugs and snails in check....


While Harriet Hare guards the salad leaves!!  It's great having these growing in the garden and to be able to pick them as and when.  Much cheaper and healthier than the supermarket bagged salads leaves!




Lots of variety for different bees, wasps, hover flies etc to feed on.


Hardy geraniums are the stalwarts of my borders!!  All shapes and sizes and colours.  Verbascum self seeds and is doing well after a few quiet years.


This hebe is smothered in flowers this year and the noise as you approach is amazing as it is just alive with buzzing bees!  The feathery plant next to it is fennel which grows really tall each year.



This area is always quite damp so has some trees and more woodlandy plants in it.


Bottoms in the air foraging!  Orange hawkweed (fox and cubs) doing well.  It's a bit of a thug but easily enough to control as long as you keep on top of it. The frothy "Ladies mantle" doing well this year too.


Gooseberries doing well and nearly ready to harvest!


Ooooh forgotten the name of these loverly balls of flower - they will be a lovely blue colour when in bloom.


I love the orange of the Globe flower and it goes well with the yellow spires of verbascum


The lupins are going over now but the Astrantia is still going strong.


Hope you enjoyed your wander round the garden!

10 comments:

  1. 'tis a lovely garden, Sian, and your little hens are beautiful! I had hens at our old house for over 10 years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my hens! Most are old now so I only get a couple of eggs a day but I just adore them rootling around the garden (as long as they stay away from the soft fruit!)

      Delete
  2. A lovely garden with lots of interest. Feral gardening is much better for the natural wildlife. If every garden was left feral the bees would certainly benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took us on a wonderful tour of your garden, ablaze with colourful flowers and edibles alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could your mystery flower be Allium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have those too but that isn't one of them. I will have to go and look at the label! LOL!

      Delete
  5. I did indeed enjoy the stroll around your garden. The colour and variety is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garden. Feral can be a good thing, especially when health and weather combine to make weeding impossible. Beautiful garden, beautiful island, beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete