Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 14 July 2019

Sailing back to Graemsay....


Hoy High with Stromness in the background
Having spent just over 48 hours in hospital I was discharged on Tuesday but still needed some recovery time.  And because there are no medical facilities on the island it was thought prudent that I stayed on the Orkney Mainland till I was fully recovered.  So I stayed with a friend in Stromness, overlooking Graemsay!  I've been coming back home during the day and heading back to Stromness at night.  But tomorrow I'm moving back home again - yay!

Anyway, here are a few pix of the sailing to and from Graemsay - each journey took me via Hoy.  The weather has been really poor in Orkney, lots of fog, rain, and very low cloud.  Warm but just grey and damp (and no not good for my asthma....).  So here are some moody skies....

Above, waiting for the boat back to Stromness.  The post sticking up to the left of the photo indicates where the electricity cable for the island comes ashore from Orphir on the Orkney Mainland.

Leaving Moaness pier on Hoy










The old Kirk on Graemsay


And the "other" Graemsay lighthouse, Hoy Low.....


And along the waterfront in Stromness. You can see many of the houses have their own piers.  The "Red Shed" is a local landmark and a former RNLI lifeboat station....  Now used by a recreational diving company.




And back to Stromness for an overnight stay with a lovely view of "home"!



6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your pictures, especially those from the ferry - I love a long ferry crossing.

    I hope that you are fully fit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still recovering but getting there!

      Delete
  2. Community and friends are always important but possibly more so where you live. I came from a small village in Carmarthenshire and checking on neighbours was just natural. Pleased to hear that its all going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the sense of community is really important on a wee island like this. I'm very lucky with my neighbours!

      Delete
  3. Glad to read you are out of hospital and recovering. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete