Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 19 August 2021

Garden - May to August

 


Note: I'm actually posting this so I can look back in the depths of Winter and early Spring and remember that despite the wind scorched earth, flowers will bloom again in the garden!

Gardening in Orkney is always a challenge, particularly if you are near the shore.  My garden regularly gets dowsed with sand and salt in the gales, particularly in Winter.  Even with a good high wall (about 5 ft in places) the direction of the wind makes a difference.  Sometimes the wind hits the wall and produces a whirlpool effect.  So over the years I have planted a few trees, some very hardy shrubs, and then lots of hardy perennials.  If the perennials do well they get split in Autumn/Spring and shared around the borders.  Some just cling on year on year without doing that well.

Late Spring - perennial cornflowers (Centauria), aquilegia, and "Batchelor's Buttons" against a backdrop of the old stone wall and old byres.


Lupins, chives, astrantia, and fennel


Geraniums and the bright yellow Welsh Poppies


Thalictrum by the copper sculpture


Sunlight through poppies


I love the deep maroon/red of this poppy. Poppies do tend to flop about  but they are just glorious and I let them get on with it.  


This hebe can flower all year round if there is a mild winter.  But it is in its glory in summer.  The bees and butterflies love it and it's constantly buzzing! This time graced by a red admiral


More aquilegia and Welsh poppies....



The ladies mantle can be a bit of a thug and spreads prolifically, but I'm thankful for it as it's great as ground cover!  I hack it back periodically during the summer to give other things a chance, but it also helps support and protect some of the other plants so it earns its place.


Weigela and rose on the left, Rowan tree on the right, beneath various perennials including geraniums, ladies mantle, and Dame's Rocket (I think?)


In previous years I have had help with the garden but the neighbour who helped has moved away now.  Thankfully after a patch of despair in Spring (well watered haha!) Everything put on a growth spurt and joined up in clumps thereby leaving less room for "weeds".  I do let patches of nettles grow (good for egg laying for moths and butterflies), along with woundwort (bees love it), self-heal, some buttercups, daisies etc.  I try and keep on top of dockans and pull up random weeds like sow-thistle etc.  I also have some hogweed which has to be cut back regularly (I'm unable to dig it up). I would describe my garden style as "feral".  It works for me!

Knautia - I have several in this bed and love them.



Love this tall hardy geranium.  It's as if an artist has taken a paint brush to the flowers.


Inula - it manages to grow fairly tall as long as it evades any summer high winds!


Water hen sparingly.....


This border is pretty feral - this is a very selective shot. Ha!  But it's still doing OK and full of insects.


Daisies, Mallow, Geraniums all growing happily together...


Mallow, together with some wild poppies.  I had sown some wild flowers here years ago and the poppies er - pop up each year...


Late summer now and the sedums are in flower....


Daisies with -er - can't remember.  Spikey flowers....


One of my favourites - sea holly.....


And a pom pom flower! Er can't remember its name either....



Crocosmia lucifer....


Loosestrife and a thug of an ornamental grass but I love it!


Commonly known as red hot pokers!


I did grow vegetables for a while, but to be honest my heart wasn't in it!  So now I just stick to fruit bushes - the gooseberries did well this year, as did the black-currants.  Of course, plenty of rhubarb available too.  I've not had much success with raspberries so have dug those up in favour of blackcurrant bushes. Despite a drought through much of July and August they have fruited well and I have a freezer half full with fruit, made some jam, and gave some away!

First crop....


And the borders - most of the garden is laid to grass as it's easy for me to zip about on my ride-on mower!  So the borders can be somewhat distant.  But Button, the hens and I walk around them daily and take great pleasure (well I do!) from them!  It's my own "secret garden".


Silage being cut in the fields up the hill


Looking from the top of the garden to the bottom and beyond!


Hope you enjoyed your wander around the garden.....

2 comments:

  1. A lovely interesting garden Sian, and a nice mixture of flowers both wild and cultivated. I like the walls, I bet they house lots of insects, a great garden that encourages wildlife. You have some colourful pictures to look back on in the depths of winter.

    ReplyDelete