Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Monday 12 November 2018

Bald hens! Oh and more sunshine...



Panic not - nothing horrendous has happened to them, just their autumn moult.  Or as they say in Orkney - they were in Ossigar.  When my neighbour first told me her hens were in Ossigar, I replied no they're in the garden as usual.  She explained it's the Orkney term used for moult. Hahaha!

The shorter days trigger them to lose feathers.  Not sure it's the best time for them but they seem to manage.  But this year two of the older hens looked awful.  I did fear for their health and wellbeing. I always give a supplement once the hens start moulting and I did consider keeping these two separate but they desperately wanted to stay with their pals, and when the weather was poor they had the sense to stay in the hen house.  Fortunately all are looking a lot healthier and featherier now a couple of weeks later!


Pecky hen (black Marran hen below) has grown most of her feathers back, just a few on her wing missing and her tail.


A panoramic view from the top of Windbreck brae looking down to Sandside.


The old croft of Moan...



Button being bashful....



Button being less bashful and enjoying the sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment