Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 25 November 2018

November



We've had a proper Autumn this year which is unusual.  We had a gale a few weeks back but otherwise the weather has been pretty benign with very little wind, and not too much rain.  There have also been some lovely skies.  Above the Autumn sun setting behind the Hoy hills, more of the same below.....





Softer hues now...


Sailing home from Stromness with a replacement Royal Mail van for our postman.


Some ewes and lambs were being delivered to the island too for a few weeks grazing. The wind got up just as we arrived at the pier so it was a bit choppy unloading them into the trailer.


3 comments:

  1. Kia ora from New Zealand Sian! I am a 13 year old student at a country school in the South Island and I have posted a comment on your piece about selkies. I hope that you might be able to respond to me for my school project. I am keen to know much more about selkies as I really think they are quite cool.
    Thanks - Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, sorry I don't check my comments very often! Here is a link to a story told by my friend, Tom Muir, of the legend of the selkies.... I'll try and reply more tomorrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugM395E0TE

      Delete
    2. And there is some info here http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/selkiefolk/

      I wasn't brought up in Orkney so I was new to the stories when I moved here 18 years ago. I love them though. And there are "selkies" that sing to me at night along the shore!!

      Delete