Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Monday 24 June 2019

Buttercups, sunshine, damselfly and flowers



It's been another gorgeous day today though a wee bit breezy.  I took a run round the island in the car. The Buttercups are looking glorious.  Above looking towards Hoy High and Sandside.

Looking over towards Garson, and Stromness on the Orkney Mainland.



Wind and rain forecast this week so I took more pix of the garden to remind me what it is supposed to look like!

Thalictrum, geranium and crocosmia. Mist rolling in behind!


Lupins, chives and astrantia


Astrantia close up.


Allium with columbine (aquilegia) behind.


Sculpture by local artist...


Some parts of the garden are distinctly feral..... and are preferred spots for Madam Button!


And..... salad leaves - spinach, lettuce, rocket and cress.


And the most beautiful thing of the day..... a (possibly female or maybe young male?) blue-tailed damselfly up at the Graemsay quarry!


7 comments:

  1. Your gardens colourful and those blue skies. When you said you took a trip around the island in the car I had to Google Earth it just to see what roads were there. Do you use the car much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only about 2 miles of proper road, the rest are farm tracks. To be honest my car is more a "shopping trolley" to get stuff from the pier to home, and used to visit neighbours in poorer weather. Though I'm unable to walk well for longer distances, so often use the car when time is of the essence.

      Delete
  2. Its looking gorgeous, hopefully midweek the weather is going to start to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that girl Blue-tailed Damselflies do dress like that (other frocks of different hues are available), but I think that young boy Blue-tails can also be green (sadly, I've come on holiday without a single ID book for any wildlife, what was I thinking?!). Hey, transgender is all the rage these days, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm well I was going by the OrkOdo Orkney guide. Doh! I will amend accordingly. Sigh.... but..... you have no wildlife ID books???????! Wow what happened to your holiday packing list then? hee hee

      Delete
  4. It all looks marvellous, how much has it altered inthe last six days though?

    ReplyDelete