Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Saturday 22 June 2019

Solstice



Yesterday was the Summer Solstice - the longest day.  I'm not sure it feels like summer much of the time.  The weather in Orkney, as in most of the UK, has been changeable to say the least.  Though we have had some lovely sunny days.

Yesterday I arrived back from a visit to family in Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands.  Yes I know - we are a bit spread out across the Britain in our family!  At least this time I got there! Last year I broke my foot at the airport in London on my way to visit them and had to stay in London for the week! 

Anyway on my return this year I managed to witness a glorious summer solstice sunset and enjoy the "simmer dim" (where it barely gets dark at all during the night).  Here are a few pictures which don't really do it justice, but still....

Above, sun setting behind Black Craig at 10.30pm.

It was lovely to return home to sunshine and be able to sit in the conservatory for the evening.  Swallows flying around and the sound of Oystercatchers in the air...


12.30am......




And at 1.30 am... (thanks Button!)


A neighbour picked me up from the pier when I arrived home (left my island car at the house to save taking up a parking space for a week).  She took me to see the new arrival on the island.  A lovely little Belted Galloway bull calf!  Awww!  Mum was very protective so I didn't get the best photos.  Will have to try again soon while he is still cute.  Though to be fair I think the adults are gorgeous too.




I enjoyed my holiday away but it's good to come home too - especially when there is sunshine!



6 comments:

  1. Its always as exciting coming home as it is going away. You are and island dwelling family! I have never visited the Channel Isles but they look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said to friends I'd bought a house on Graemsay they said "Did you think you were buying on on Guernsey" Haha! We all love being near the sea. My brother lives in a village outside Southampton, on the coast. The Channel islands are lovely - very managed and ordered though. Little "wild" spaces. But they have a charm of their own.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos. Happy solstice. Hope you have a glorious summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the met office warn of changeable weather most of summer but hopefully we get some lovely days too!

      Delete