Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 30 June 2019

Earlier in June.... a Viking Feast


Raggie telling one of the Viking tales
As I say, Summer gets busy!  Anyway earlier in June one Friday evening a friend and I went on a Viking Feast at Scapa Beach in Orkney.  The evening was organised by "Viking Hiking" with Raggie, and Marks I & II - take a look at the website - they do hiking tours too. Some photos of events here on Facebook.

The weather was against us as it was drizzling rain, however Mark I had a roaring fire going in the lea of the wind and rain at Scapa beach (near the harbour there).  And there were simmering pots of chicken and vegetables cooked in beer (veggie option available). I may have found a way I will no eat cooked carrots - soaked in beer!

Mark I tending the pots
We also cooked our own bread - it was green.... due to peas....apparently.  It was - um - interesting!  The trick really is to get it very thin so it cooks quicker!

Raggie hugging the green dough
Green bread cooking!
Mark II tended the fire, and assisted in handing round beer in a horn, and we were given small horns to use as drinking vessels for the evening.  Food was shared around in wooden bowls with wooden spoons (naturally).  The beer was local Orkney beer of course!



Raggie (who is Norwegian and has an infectious enthusiasm for all things Viking) told us the history of vikings and feasts while we prepared to eat dinner.  (Lovely fresh raspberries for desssert!).  Then she regaled us with stories from the old times, or showed some of the younger members how to write their name in runes.

Meanwhile Mark I showed us how to do lucet braiding... which was entertaining!

Mark I demonstrating lucet braiding

Mark II having a go!
The fire was most welcome on a cool damp "summer" evening!

Check out Mark II's leather boots!
Raggie and Mark's I and II were wearing traditional Viking dress.  Raggie said in Viking times the wool from sheep would not have been cleaned so the natural oils would have repelled the rain and helped with waterproofing.  Seal skins would also have been used around the shoulders to keep off the rain and keep warm.

A Viking Feast is definitely a fun way to spend a couple of hours on a summer evening!


6 comments:

  1. That sounds like an evening well spent; I would love to try the braiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked great, I didn't have a go as I'm not very dexterous (sp?) and it takes time for my brain to compute that sort of thing but it was fun to watch!

      Delete
  2. Sounds a good expeience 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very impressive, sound like a fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was great fun! The 2 hours passed very quickly. Some of the younger local kids came with their viking helmets and swords.

      Delete