Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 21 June 2020

Summer solstice



We've had several days of mist, so I was delighted yesterday (Saturday) when the sun shone in the afternoon.  I was hoping it would last into the evening sunset as it was the Summer Solstice and thankfully it did.  Photo above was taken at 10.30.  It was still fairly light at midnight, though the clouds reappeared and this morning it was raining.  But we had a beautiful day for the solstice....


Button and I had spent the afternoon in the garden.  The damp misty days have made everything grow wonderfully, particularly the weeds - well ok they are wildflowers in the wrong place but they are choking some of my perennials so some rescue work was needed.  Button supervised as usual....


This weigelia is flowering well this year - yes that's cow parsley growing through it.  That's ok.  Once it has flowered I will cut the cow parsley back.  But the bees love it...


This is one of the borders - panoramic shot so a bit distorted....


I love the evening light on these poppies....


There have been lots of fledglings about, starlings, sparrows, wrens, and blackbirds.... this is a juvenile blackbird (I think).



And my pride and joy - an orchid growing in the middle of my "lawn". Oh this fair makes my heart sing.  This summer my garden has been blessed by wonderful bugs and bees, birds and now this.



I mentioned misty and cloud last week....


But there were still a couple of lovely evenings....


Sun setting before the cloud bank moved in...




Hope you were able to enjoy the solstice wherever you are in the world.  Stay safe in these strange times..

1 comment:

  1. What a joy to see the orchid in the lawn. My neighbour has several but sadly none on our lawn as yet. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete