Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 9 August 2020

A quick trip around the island....

 

I have had a few days off work and the weather has been kind to me.  I've spent most of the time trying to catch up with gardening (never happens!) or just sitting relaxing in the warm sun (rarely happens...).  But today I took a drive round the island, stopping off to take some photos and enjoy the views.  Lots of tractors were out and about as baling the hay and silage is in full swing on the island as the weather is fine.

Sandside bay, my house and Hoy High Lighthouse

Over the other side of the island, Ward hill on Hoy, and Burra Sound (the stretch of water between Hoy and Graemsay).

Cott of School, the stories this house could tell no doubt!

The croft of Dean, with the Hoy Hills in the background

The Slope of Ward hill...
The old School....

Looking across to the farm of Fillets and beyond to farms on the Orkney Mainland
Hoy High lighthouse peering over the hill up by the old quarry
Heather in bloom up at the old quarry
Back round by Sandside Bay now... the croft of Quoys

Neighbouring farmer baling the hay in my field

The MV Graemsay ferry heading for our pier...
And some sunsets!!  Taken from the "back door"...






9 comments:

  1. That really is 'life on a small island'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, what clear photos.

    There's something that attracts me to ruins, as a child I loved to play in them ... much to the horror of my Mum. As a grown-up I want to sit and dream in them of what they once were, of who lived in them or used them and why they were abandoned. And I so want to 'make them better', a sympathetic restoration to protect them from the weather.

    I'll go now before you think I'm totally mad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I do the same! A local historian has written a book about the island so I do know the names of many of the folk and some of the stories. It's fascinating.

      Delete
    2. Have been looking at your blog and added you to my blog list. I don't seem to have time at the moment to read other blogs but when I retire at end Sept I plan to catch up on other lives!! Yours looks fascinating!

      Delete
  3. Those old stone homes and other buildings were built to last, but some of them are giving up, sad to say. The countryside and sunsets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes once the roof falls in, the rain gets into the walls and they disintegrate. Very sad.

      Delete