Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 21 January 2021

Sailing to Stromness....

 

Hoy High light and Graemsay 

Last week I had to make a quick visit to Stromness for a routine blood test at the local Health Centre.  I got the first boat in the morning (08.10) and returned on the 10am sailing so I wasn't there long! Not even chance for a takeaway coffee from my favourite cafe (Julia's). All covid protections are in place in Orkney and I felt quite safe, both sailing on the ferry, and at the health centre.  The main problem was ice everywhere!  I was afraid of doing a Bambi impression!  I have fragile bones so falling is not recommended.  Never fear I did the penguin shuffle around the town.  Had the chance of a quick socially distanced chat with a friend I hadn't seen since October and then came home.  So here are a few photos of the sail to Stromness on a beautiful cold and frosty morning..... 

PS - first time I've seen a proper sunrise all winter - well I am retired!!  After 60 years of getting up for school, university and work on dark mornings I am revelling in the fact I don't HAVE to do that now.  Whooo hooo. Retirement going well then......

Looking down Clestrain Sound to the island of Flotta (in the middle) Orkney Mainland on the left.


Hoy High lighthouse on Graemsay.....



Snow dusted Hoy Hills......


Approaching the harbour....




Stromness waterfront.....





Sunrise over the harbour and the Graemsay ferry.....


Boats in the harbour....


It was a lovely calm day, hope you enjoyed coming with me!  Next post will be the return journey....


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Yes, one of my very favorite things about being retired is not having to get up early and rush around getting ready for work. A close second is not having to follow anyone else's schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the time for a second cup of tea before getting on with the day. And yup - following my own schedule - or not! Haha!

      Delete
  2. A very pretty journey, you are surrounded by beauty. Glad you felt safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was such a joy to get out and about!

      Delete
  3. I bet it was nice to have a change of scene. Just wondering after your last post about driving the car, do you have to ship it over to Stromness for servicing / repairs/ MoT etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a lovely sail round. Great being out in the fresh air and seeing different scenery! Yup winched on and off the ferry. Though some "light repairs" can be done by folk on the island. Generally island vehicles are workhorses (vans etc, tractors of course and quad bikes - no high performance vehicles like a porche! Haha).

      Delete
  4. Lovely country and wonderful images - again !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a great time taking the Graemsay ferry.Such a beautiful voyage! Thank you for the invitation. And to friend Andrew who sent me to this post. A bit lonely here since the lockdown. Lovely to change horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the sail! You are welcome anytime :-) Lockdown is so tough isn't it? I'm a fairly solitary person (hence living on an island!) but normally I can choose to be alone or meet up with friends or visit folk. When that choice is taken away it becomes a whole different thing.

      Delete
  6. A lovely set of pics and nice to see one of my favourite little towns Stromness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the town. I was too concerned about not doing a Bambi impression!

      Delete
  7. Isn't it the best thing about retirement - not having to get up when it's still dark?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Sian, poemblogtwentyfour.blogspot.com has just gone live. As usual, wildlife and Scottish islands feature a lot. Toodles, Marky.

    ReplyDelete